I have finally finished writing the excursus on the Egyptian star calendars and I have now started working on writing the second excurus, this time regarding the Westcar Papyrus. The reason for me writing about this papyrus is that I want that the readers of my book will also get some exposure to more “traditional” stories, such as those contained within this papyrus. Additionally, this papyrus is something I’ve been studying for quite a while now and I therefore thought it would also be a great practice for me to explain each of the sentences. However, because focussing on the entirety of the papyrus would be well beyond my intended scope of the book, I will only be focussing of an excerpt of one of the stories (the fourth) that you can find in this book. Therefore, I’ve been mostly busy with studying the papyrus and trying to figure out how to best explain more difficult grammatical concepts that are found within the excerpt I will be discussing.
Library time … ?
As the weekend has just started and, along with it the summer holidays in my state as well, I have been thinking about visiting the University Library of the University of Bielefeld. I generally prefer visiting it during the holidays, as it means that I will not have trouble finding a place to sit and work on my stuff in peace. Even though the university doesn’t have an Ancient Egyptian faculty, they do have a large collection of books regarding Ancient Egypt and its language. Therefore, I was thinking of visiting it on Sunday and looking through their book collection in the hopes of finding something interesting to add to my book; perhaps I will even find some more information about the Westcar Papyrus.
This is something that I would normally not add into this blog post, but since it is connected to my book I thought I will do so anyway. I’ve been getting slightly annoyed at the fact that there was no easy way of turning a MdC transcription of an Ancient Egyptian text into a regular transcription that uses special characters. I wasn’t able to find any keyboards or any websites that will do that for you so I made my own, admittedly very crude version of such a converter; it can now be accessed at http://marvinjohanning.de/mdcconverter.php
This means that I will no longer have to copy and paste every single letter when I want to write a transcription.